Software Woes

Rants, tips and tricks



Monday, August 31, 2009



why Blogger engine sucks?

I got so frustrated writing blog entries here sometimes. I don't get it: Blogger is used by (presumably) millions of users, yet the most basic things don't work.

Example 1: Characters < and > do not get transformed to &lt; and &gt; when you switch between the HTML and Compose view. This means that and switching can be fatal to the contents. If you have a piece of C or C++ code with dozen #includes - it's horror.

Example 2: Shortcuts for Italics and Bold just don't work properly when you backspace. Here, I press Ctrl+b now. Then I delete that word. The indicatior (b letter at top of compose window) shows Bold is on. I press Ctrl+B to turn it off - indicator changes to off, but bold is actually ON. I start typing and bold letters appear.

I hope this reaches someone in Blogger team and they fix these trivial issues (I won't even mind if they delete this post afterwards when it's done).

BTW, all this using Firefox 2 and 3 on Linux.

5 Comments:

At 3:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My only guess is that they are working on a new engine from scratch because development of the current one seems frozen.

 
At 4:04 PM, Blogger Dave Dragon said...

Many shortcomings in the Blogger interface is why I switched to Windows Live Writer.

No more issues.

 
At 5:46 PM, Blogger Randy White said...

Ok. But, many people know my blogger URL, so I wouldn't want to abandon it just like that. Wordpress engine also looks tempting.

However, best thing would be if blogger fix these glitches and let us enjoy otherwise this, otherwise very good, web software.

 
At 10:58 AM, Blogger Popa Adrian Marius said...

I think the best we can do is to create some greasemonkey scripts , I tried to import my blog in wordpress but there are some issues with the images and the posts doesn't look the same

 
At 4:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know, it does suck. Look what happened to my blog at http://yourvideoshere.blogspot.com.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home