Software Woes

Rants, tips and tricks



Sunday, April 02, 2006



Opera browser is SLOW

Opera... fastest browser on Earth?

Yeah, right. I just found some website that crashes Mozilla and Firefox few days ago. As I didn't want to use Internet Explorer, I decided to give Opera a shot. So, I downloaded the latest version 8.53.

It works fine, but it's far from being fastest. Most of the time it's as good as any other, however on some pages with pictures shown in sizes smaller than original - it just sucks. Here are few pages that make Opera crawl:

http://www.pgadmin.org/screenshots/
http://www.kappix.com/screenshots.htm

Well, I guess I'm yet to find The Perfect Browser...

3 Comments:

At 7:13 AM, Blogger עדנה נהוראי said...

Hi Milan and Stefan,

Kappix is working on improving its website. I'm interesting in making our site friendly to various browsers. I'd appreciate any helpful suggestions you might have to make Kappix's website easier to browse. You can contact me at navushe@kappix.com.

Thank you very much,
Nancy Berger for Kappix

 
At 3:34 AM, Blogger Randy White said...

Some people reminded me about this, and now I see I missed an important point in my initial article. It isn't just slowdown of Opera, but rather slowdown of entire operating system.

When I open one of those pages, Opera takes 100% CPU and entire OS crawls while it's loading the page.

I guess "smooth" scaling is really CPU intensive, so perhaps they should just turn it off when image is 100 times bigger than display box.

 
At 10:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i just visited both these links on opera as well as firefox...
not much of a difference...
but opera is good. it has good features i like the in built mail client in opera than any other mail client.

may be u should re-think ur os has issues not opera or firefox. or u hardware itself is slow think investing or. or screw windows be linux like me :)

kampli
kampli@gmail.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home